The Can West HSL program is competitive hockey designed for players who have the desire and ability to play at a high level of competition and who are willing to invest a reasonable amount of time to on and off-ice training. The emphasis is on improvement of all basic skills, plus tactical and psychological preparation.
The objectives of Can West Hockey are:
- Achieve a degree of excellence, according to the player’s interest and potential
- Provide an opportunity for achievement in an enjoyable and self-fulfilling environment
- Provide an opportunity to progress to a higher level of competition
- Stimulate development both from an individual and overall sport point of view.
- Meet team goals set by team officials.
The Age divisions which are offered by Can West AAA Hockey are as follows…
* year denotes birth year
- 2010 Minor
- 2009 Major
- 2007 Minor
- 2006 Minor
HSL Season 2019/2020
The Can West HSL program will consists of:
70-80 Hours of On Ice Instruction including...
- 20 hours with St. Albert Hockey Fit (Justin Suda: individual skill development, passing & shooting, power skating)
with 200 Hockey Development (Wade Burt: power skating)
- 15-20 hours of individual goalie training with Vimy Hockey instructors
(Blair Faulkner & Travis Rolheisier) & PGI (Mario Haase).
48-60 Hours of Off Ice Training & Team Building...
- dryland training at the Can West training facility (No Limits Training)
- strength & conditioning training (aerobic and anaerobic)
- acceleration and speed training
- off ice individual skills training (shooting, stick handling)
- intro to sport psychology/nutrition
- community service and volunteering
- Guest speakers and motivators
- 8 regular season showcases = 32 games
- 1 playoff showcase = 4 games
- 4-6 exhibition games
* all games are 55 minute stop time games (1st period: 15 minute, 2nd period: 20 minute, 3rd period: 20 minute)