The Can West HSL program is competitive hockey designed for players who have the desire and ability to play at a high level of competition and who are willing to invest a reasonable amount of time to on and off-ice training. The emphasis is on improvement of all basic skills, plus tactical and psychological preparation.
The objectives of Can West Hockey are:
- Achieve a degree of excellence, according to the player’s interest and potential
- Provide an opportunity for achievement in an enjoyable and self-fulfilling environment
- Provide an opportunity to progress to a higher level of competition
- Stimulate development both from an individual and overall sport point of view.
- Meet team goals set by team officials.
For the upcoming 2020/2021 Winter season, Can West Thunder will be offering the following teams:
*U14 Prep (2006 born players)
*U13 Prep (2007 born players)
*2008 Minor (2008 born players)
2009 Major (2009 born players)
2010 Major (2010 born players)
2011 Minor (2011 born players)
* Denotes that these divisions will be playing body contact.
HSL Season 2019/2020 Development Program
The Can West HSL program will consist of:
75+ Hours of On Ice Instruction including...
- 20 hours with St. Albert Hockey Fit (Justin Suda: individual skill development, passing & shooting, power skating) &
Defensive Edge (Ian Barteaux)
- 15-20 hours of individual goalie training with Vimy Hockey instructors
(Blair Faulkner) & SOS (Mario Haase).
48-60 Hours of Off Ice Training & Team Building...
- dryland training at the Can West training facility (No Limits Training)
- strength & conditioning training (aerobic and anaerobic)
- acceleration and speed training
- off ice individual skills training (shooting, stick handling)
- intro to sport psychology/nutrition
- community service and volunteering
- Guest speakers and motivators
- 8 regular season showcases = 32 games
- 1 playoff showcase = 4 games
- 4-6 exhibition games
* all games are 55 minute stop time games (1st period: 15 minute, 2nd period: 20 minute, 3rd period: 20 minute)